Thursday, May 29, 2008

Koinonia, how I love thee!

For those who don't know, I'm a youth leader of a small youth group named Koinonia. I say this with a grin on my face because I'm so thankful for the privilege of serving God's teens and young adults (not that I'm not a young adult myself :P). An opportunity to invest your life into the growth of God's youths, what a worthwhile call! However, like any ministry, it comes complete with struggles and troubles. Last night in our youth leader's meeting, one of my fellow leaders brought up one such struggle.

She said that she's frustrated that no real change has happened in our youth, even after our years of laboring. There seemed to be a stagnancy in our Youth for quite awhile. I must admit that at some point, I agree. Being a youth leader is tiring. We meet weekly to plan, prepare, fast and pray for our youths. But we rarely see the fruits of our labour. Lessons seem to fall on deaf ears and revival seems so far away. But then it dawned on me, a revelation (some what) of what it truly means to serve in a small group. Maybe our perception of "success" was wrong. We were all hoping that one day we'll see this youth group grow to about 50 strong members or even hundreds.

I believe that every ministry has a different but indispensable role in the body of God. Small ministries like Koinonia included. God willing, Koinonia will become like one of those "super" ministries some day. You know, the kind with an attendance of thousands and visible passion for God. But until then, I believe that our job is to be faithful with the little that God has given us. Our ministry may not transform thousands, but we have the duty of molding the 20 we're given. And even if only 2 out of the 20 truly give their lives to God, I feel we've done something to be proud of. We'll just move on from that two, and little by little we'll touch the other 18. We shouldn't be discouraged when we see that only a few youths change. Change is a matter of the heart. And the heart is often cold and doesn't sway easily. I'm happy taking one heart at the time.

We may never become like a factory, producing tens of thousands of youth on fire for God. But as for now, I'm content with being an artist. Pouring my life in each careful stroke of the brush until after years, one masterpiece is complete. And perhaps one day, that youth which I invested so much into will move on to produce the tens of thousands of youth on fire that I dreamed of.

6 comments:

waynshaun said...

do i see my blog link on top of the page? so nice..advertise for me :D

Joshua Lim said...

since you're my first ever commenter.. I thought why not :)

Alpha Lim said...

no mass production but handmade art instead?

you're on to something...

waynshaun said...

whoo. i was ur blog's 1st comment. i must be special to him/her/it :D

faye said...

I've been in my youth since it was created. From being a small member until now a youth leader, only until recently I could see the youth is truly growing.. after 8 years.

My youth been stopped before too, for not having enough member. (around 6-7 of us only) But God's gracious and we never gave up at the end. That's us - Tough Youth. =]

So take things slowly, and I'm sure God is with Koinonia. I would personally prefer to have a small group. That's when we'll focus more on fellowship, instead of activities.

Anyway, sorry for the long comment. I just hope that this will encourage you and we're all brothers and sisters in Christ what~ haha.

Cheers.
Faye aka Yagami.

Joshua Lim said...

Thanks Faye~ your comment means a lot =)