Friday, June 27, 2008

He comes near to us

I'm going through a season of spiritual barrenness. You know, those times when you feel so far from God. I'm not sure if it's even correct to call it a season. By season you imply that it is a natural course of nature, when many time this emptiness are caused by the our negligence of God. But I guess by calling it a season, there is comfort in knowing it will pass. But then again, the coming of the fruitful season only comes by our efforts to continue seeking God.

I believe it's not enough to just sit back and wait for God to call us back. The first half of James 4:8 says "Come near to God and He will come near to You". Did you see that? It says come near to God, not God comes near to us first. God gave us the greatest invitation to be close to Him when Jesus paved the way to eternal salvation. Technically, He has already done His part. Now it's our turn to "come near to God". Then, when our heart softens in His Love and Grace, we "allow" God to come near to us.

God will not push His way in. He gave us the gift of freewill and because of that, we unfortunately shut God out sometimes. But He waits. As the loving father who waited for his prodigal son. So does God wait for us to return. But when we do, He won't spend a moment longer away from you. He's the Father who will meet us halfway. He comes near to us.

This post didn't turn out exactly like I planned. I wanted to write about something else. As a matter of fact, the original title was "Saving Faith and Holy Lives". But as I typed, I just felt led to write this instead. And you know what? It's just what I needed to hear myself. Thanks Dad, I love You. I'm sorry I've been keeping away from You. But I'm coming back. Thanks for waiting.

No comments: